For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Success!

This morning Kaylie went in to have tubes put in and with her being so young they wanted her to go first putting us at the hospital by 5:45. I was thrilled because she could not eat and drink after midnight and as we all know babies do not stop letting you know that they are hungry. My fear was that this would be the one night she woke up at 3 starving so to help with this I feed her at 11:30, just in case! We got to the hospital, they checked us in and took us back. The hospital we went to is pretty new and not that busy so the service was awesome. The nurse to baby ratio was pretty much 1 to 1. When we got back to the area for day surgery they had me put this little yellow baby gown on her. I looked at it and laughed. It was gigantinormous on her! I laughed and the nurse apologized for how big it was. I didn't care and since Kaylie enjoyed eating it she didn't seem to care that much either.

Kaylie's procedure was not supposed to start until 7. By 6:45am I had met everyone and they had already scooped her up to take her back. They were done and back in to get me by 7:00. Wow that was fast. The funny thing was I heard this baby crying, looked at the nurse and said that's not my baby. The doctor came in 2 seconds later to confirm it was. Oops! Apparently, his theory is crye no dieye (that is spelled phonetically to show what he said). I guess this made me feel a little better.

I went back to get Kaylie and the poor thing would not stop crying. Since I have had some friends go through this I was completely prepared for this to happen but it was still difficult. I knew she would stop once she was a little more oriented with her surroundings. I tried so many things to get her to calm down. Finally, I sat in the rocker and rocked. After about 5 minutes she settled down and fell asleep. The nurse came in and asked me if I wanted to dress her. Knowing that she did not like to be dressed on a regular basis I opted to have her go as is with a blanket over her.

Once home we put Kaylie to bed and then I went to sleep. Neither of us woke up until 11:30. For the most part the rest of the day went well. Since she had an ear infection to begin with she was still in a good deal of pain. She was so stuffed up she was struggling to eat which made her not want to sleep. Poor thing was starving and exhausted at the same time! We have tried to feed her whenever she is awake. I finally decided that the only way to get her to sleep was to give her oatmeal. This worked. I think we are going to have to do this the rest of the night.

Cool thing: The ENT called us tonight to check on her. How cool is that?!? How many doctors call there patients to check up on them. I was able to ask about her appetite, the bleeding in her ears, and her fussiness. I figured all of these things were normal. He did say that if she did not have an ear infection to begin with she would most likely be feeling great. He said that because her ears were so inflamed to begin with we have to wait for them to heal. He also said that with her being so premature it may take longer for her to get over the anesthesia.

Even though it was very stressful getting to this point, getting tubes is going to do wonders for Kaylie. Jason and I are thrilled. Since November Kaylie has had 4 to 5 ear infections and was not turning to sound. The noises that come out of her mouth are not normal. She grunts, does what we call a pterodactyl (high pitch squeal) and goes oohh and now that she can hear so man y things can change. The other thing is we might see a huge increase in her weight. Whenever her ears hurt she eats less. I can't wait to see what will happen!

No comments: