For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sandwich please...

It has been awhile since I have done an update on how she is doing. I think it is because I don't want to jinx things.

All I have to say is wow!!! Jason and I have been floored by her progress. She is loving school and is soaking up everything she is learning. The other day she walked up and said the Pledge of Allegiance word for word. We had no clue she had even been practicing it. Now she comes home singing her color songs. She can spell red, orange, and brown through the songs as well as her seasons. Every day she walks out, sees what the weather is like and starts to sing the corresponding song. Her favorite is the windy, windy song. Makes me smile every time. She is doing so well we are currently trying her out with a group of 4 to 5 year olds to see if she is ready to move into a less restrictive class. After a lot of arguing she finally went over to try it and as expected is loving it. At this point in time we are at least hoping they will keep her through the end of the school year but with the amount of progress she has made it may not happen.

Feeding wise...we are looking at discharge from her feeding therapy at the beginning of the year. I would like to keep it until after the holidays but drop it soon after. She is at the point where we are no longer getting sick or choking during her meals. She is eating pretty much anything they introduce to her in therapy and has just started eating new things for us. It is no longer an issue about can she but more of a will she when it comes to what she eats. The good thing is once a new food is introduced it turns more into a typical three year old rather than a three year old with a feeding disability. I have waited for this day and it is coming quickly. Things are finally clicking. I always knew their would be a time where she figured it out and that time is now. She is now able to sit and eat what we are eating and we love it. She had chicken Parmisian and spaghetti at a friends house followed by a brownie for dessert. Yesterday she ate her very first sandwich and had absolutely no refusals. This is huge for me because it opens up a bunch of options for meals. Variety has been a huge issue for us and this allows for many things. Later that night we went to a fundraiser for my MOPS group and the teacher in her room told me my little girl inhaled the entire slice of pizza followed by part of a cookie. I think my reaction scared them because i was absolutely shocked. I kept saying over and over...the entire piece...really?!? They said she didn't even hesitate. She is not one to be influenced by what others are eating so I know she must have really wanted it. I think we will be ordering Little Ceasars a lot more in our house.

Weight wise...it is what it is. She is healthy and happy. She is growing height wise and going to be petite. I don't really think petite is such a bad thing, especially for a girl.

The pictures below are from her first sandwich ever. We are so proud of her. We celebrated by all taking bites together as a family. Weird but it helps encourage her.


No comments: