For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Animal Kingdom

Day 7 took us to the Animal Kingdom. With Kaylie's love for animals we were so excited to come here knowing this would be something she ate up. As excited as we were it turned out to be our least favorite day. It started out well but as the day went on things started to fall apart. Thankfully, out of 8 days of travel this was our first day to have a bad day so needless to say we knew it had to come at some point. Thankfully, this turned out to be our only yucky day.

We started out on the animal safari ride. The trick to seeing the animals is to go and see them first thing in the morning so you can catch them before nap time. We were so glad we did. A lot of the Animal Kingdom is enclosed by trees so a breeze is hard to come by. Put that with 90 + degree weather and I can not imagine waiting in this line any later than we did.

The ride itself was amazing. They have set up a beautiful Savannah type environment for many of the animals to run around in. It was gorgeous! In this environment the animals are in charge not the humans so if the ostrich decides to stop in the middle of the road...which he did...the jeeps have to stop. Thankfully, the two times we did we had a good view of the animals we were watching.

The birds had nests all over this little piece of land they were inhabiting. I enjoyed seeing them sitting on the nests and how big some of the eggs were. The other thing I found interesting was seeing the hippos huddled together. I never knew they hung out in groups.

Crocodiles...not my favorite. Really glad we didn't get stuck next to them. Kaylie enjoyed, "snap, snap, snapping" at her daddy just like the crocodiles do.

Part of the scenery. They did a great job creating a serene environment for the animals.

I know these are rare but I can't for the life of me remember what they are called. I like the color on there faces. In person it was very bright blue.

She still loves giraffes.

I had a death grip on her. She was squirming and I feared her going over board.

Right before we had gotten to the lions I switched out my lenses from my long one to my short so I could get some close ups of Kaylie. I wish I hadn't done that because the lions were precious laying up on the rocks. It was already so warm out they had already decided to take a nap even though it was only 10 am.

On the top of the car right above our seat they had all the possible animals you could see and there names. This would have been helpful as I am writing this post. :)

Most likely the culprit of the delay in the ride. We didn't mind because we were getting a great breeze from the trip.

Right after the safari we walked by a bird show that was just about to start. This was so well done! It was so well done, educational, and made us laugh the entire time. I loved seeing how well it kept Kaylie's attention.

After the bird show we decided to take a map and walk the animal trails. This is where we started to fall apart. My camera decided it wanted to have some problems again and refused to take very many pictures. You could hear it trying to adjust but then nothing. We had actually gone to visit the monkeys prior to this but were not able to capture them swing from rope to rope because of it. Thankfully my amazing husband stepped up and for the second time on this trip fixed it so his wife could do what she loves best and take pictures of her family. Come to find out the lens was stuck from Kaylie spilling milk two days before and for some reason it just now decided to have problems. I was happy when it was fixed.

While walking on these trails I saw another guy with a gigantic Nikon camera and stopped him to ask him for help. I was pretty desperate! He was wonderful and showed me one thing I needed to do differently but other than that everything else looked good. Who would have known it was all because of some milk.
After we went on there new roller coaster Kaylie was ready to do something for her so we went and ate before going to the Finding Nemo show. At this point Kaylie was exhausted and wanted nothing to do with this show. Since it wasn't keeping any of our attention and Kaylie kept trying to sprawl out all over J and I we decided it was time to leave so we ended up heading over to the carnival type area that they had set up. It looked just like you were at one with carnival games and lights. Pretty interesting considering it didn't look anything like the rest of the park. The way they tied it in was by making it somewhat of a dinosaur theme.
She got to ride the dinosaur ride that went up and down just like the Dumbo ride. She actually let me sit with her with daddy in the back. She kept her arms flying the entire ride.

After the dinosaurs Jason wanted to ride a ride that would spin you around. On this particular day I was a little sick to my stomach so I decided it would not be in any one's best interest for me to go on it so Kaylie and I went over to "The Dig." It was a gigantic dinosaur play area for kids. The only problem was it was 2:30 and very hot. The ground and equipment were radiating heat. I was starting to over heat and really not enjoying myself at this point in time. I did enjoy seeing her play but I was done. We played here for about 20 minutes while waiting for her daddy and then went over to the ride to wait for him.

Very proud of herself...I love the sunglasses. She was so good at wearing them.

I think the thing that did me in was the over abundance of stairs and ramps I chased her up and slides I went down.

I thought this was a pretty cool picture. I was excited to see she didn't mind walking across the bridge. It led you to an area filled with sand and fossils to dig out. Pretty cool set up.

Before leaving we decided to enjoy the absolute best thing to cure you from over heating...Frozen lemonade. Just what we needed!!! I was so happy after this. Helped us forget how hot and cranky we were.

Now that I had a camera that worked we decided to try and get one more family picture. I love the parrot in the back ground. Glad to see we are still smiling.

Pretty parrot
All said and done our day at the Animal Kingdom wasn't awful it just wasn't great. Since everything is very brown and the trees everything around you kept a breeze from being able to come through we were miserably hot. I am pretty sure if it wasn't for that the day would have gone a little bit better.

Exhausted after a long and hot day. So glad she was able to get in a cat nap. She had been so good this entire trip. We were so proud of her.

On the way back to our room we tried and succeeded in not waking her up. As J went to lay her in bed she immediately popped straight up and and told us, "I had fun today." That was it for her nap. Surprisingly, that was all she needed. She was in a great mood the rest of the day.

We debated on what to do the rest of the day. We thought about going back to one of the other parks but knew pretty quickly that was not what Kaylie wanted to do. Since our room looked out over the pool Miss K had been chomping at the bit to go to "the beach" as she had been calling it. Not wanting to disappoint her we put on our suits and off we went. She could not have been happier. She "kick, kick, kicked" as she would say, splashed, and spent a good amount of time jumping in and getting out of the water. She even let Jason put her under water when she jumped in. We have been amazed at how much she has loved the water this year. We couldn't be happier that we have a water baby. She really wants to learn how to swim on her own.

No comments: