It is official...As of today we are 5 days without her paci. I wish I could take credit for this accomplishment but I have to give it to her daddy. Without his quick thinking we would probably have sent her off to kindergarten with it.
How did he do it?!? He used baby Lucas to help only Lucas was not involved in this decision. She saw his paci (which was identical to hers) sitting on the table and said, "Lucas...paci." Jason confirmed this, took her upstairs, read her a book and put her in her crib to go to bed. She asked for her paci and Jason reminded her that she gave her paci's to Lucas. I am not sure how or why she agreed to this but she said "uh huh," layed down with a what am I going to do know look/what the heck was I thinking, grabbed her stuffed animals and went to sleep. Wow!!!
For the most part things have gone great. Today was the first day she did not even think twice about it. Bed time has not really been a problem. She gives herself a pep talk mentioning Lucas' name and paci as a way to make herself feel better. She hasn't slept in as much as she usually does calling out for us several times in the morning and that is starting to take a toll on her and her crankiness levels. Naps have been rough but are slowly getting back to normal. Today she went down pretty easy unlike the first day where she stayed awake until I went to get her an hour and a half into what was supposed to be nap time. The next day it took an hour to go to sleep and from their on less and less. Today she went to sleep easily and slept until I woke her up 2 hours later. I think it is safe to say the worst is over.
The coolest thing about this process is her self soothing techniques. The first full day of this she repeated the phrase, "Lucas...paci" quite often. At times she would run around to her "secret spots" in hopes of finding the paci she had dropped the night before. Once she realized she wasn't getting it she would mention her friend and move on. What a smart child. We actually did a true hand off with Lucas. This seemed to help even more.
I am truly in awe of her ability to cope. During this whole process we never once had tears which was good because if we had I definitely would have given in just so I would not have to watch her suffer even though I knew it would cause more harm than good. Now the biggest job for me is to find the rest of her "hidden paci's." I am waiting for the day she comes walking out with one in her mouth.
Random pics from the week:
Another random note:
(click on the picture to get a true look at how unhealthy she was. You can see how bad she felt in her eyes)
I know I say this a lot but oh my goodness...what a difference a year makes. Today she is shy of being 23 lbs. (4 1/2 lbs. heavier than when she was admitted), has grown a significant amount in height, and is eating and drinking a normal amount. The day she was admitted (18 mths old) she was only taking a total of 8 oz. from a bottle and would only eat yogurt melts. She was at the tail end of size 3 to 6 month clothes. By the time we left she was eating purees, drinking from a honey bear, had color back in her face, fat on her body, more hair on her head,fitting well in 6 to 9 mth. clothes, and had plenty of energy. She no longer needed a ton of sleep.
She has definitely fought to get where she is today and we couldn't be more proud. My prayer is that she will continue to fight through out her life. If she continues to work as hard as she has to get where she is now I know she will be able to do anything she dreams of. Love ya baby girl!

5 comments:
No paci! That's awesome! Sounds a lot less traumatizing than how Claire got rid of hers ... getting Hand-Foot-Mouth (ow!).
Way to go Kaylie!!!
WHOOOOOOO!!! So proud of her taking steps forward in eating and that she has given up her paci! What an amazing accomplishment!
Wow, that's great!!!! What an amazing year it has been for your family!!
I'm just catching up on your blog! I had to do a double take to realize the one picture was of Kaylie. She has changed so much over the past year! I'm so happy for your family!!
Post a Comment