Yesterday I picked Kaylie up from daycare and when I got her home I realized she had a temp of a 102. I expected this because she had gotten her one year shots about a week ago. The only thing that made me worry was that she was having cold symptoms. This changed everything. This morning I took her in yet again. They are seriously starting to get to know us. That would be fine if the office didn't see over 10,000 patients.
Here are a few ways you know your child is sick too often:
* Kaylie started crying and the nurse looked at her and said she hadn't seen her cry before.
* The doctor walks in and says, "I just saw you last week for a well visit, what happened?"
* The doctor actually cracks jokes with you about how many times you have been in the office. I figure you can join in or cry. I choose to join in. =)
* Your doctor agrees with you when you say we have had a rough winter and continues by saying that my baby has been a little sicker than he would like. That's fantastic!
* The doctor doesn't tell you what to look for in regards to symptoms because you already know them.
I don't know what they are going to do when we are immune to everything and never see us again. Hopefully that will come sooner than later!
During her exam the doctor agreed that with the cold symptoms it ruled out the shots being the cause of the fever making it a virus. Ugh! I am so done with being sick. The poor thing needs a break! As of right now we just need to continue watching her and as long as her breathing stays under control and her cough doesn't get worse we are fine and the fever is just a fever.
Weight
In the past few weeks Kaylie has been losing weight. When we were in the middle of her month long illness we weighed her and she was at 13 lbs 11 oz. The next week she went to 13lbs 9oz. and the next week 13 lbs 6 oz. This stressed me out! Why was she losing weight. She was eating more than she had in awhile (a whooping 24 oz a day...I know she's a pig) considering one day she had a total of 8 oz but still gained weight. Now that she was eating why was she loosing weight?
One night as I was watching her I stood up and went into the kitchen and her comes my little butterball following me into the kitchen. From there I went into the kitchen and she followed me there. Duh! She is losing weight because she is now everywhere! This made me feel a little better. At her one year she had actually gained some and was now weighing in at 13lbs 10 oz. Good but not great. What do we need to do now? What will make us put on weight. After talking with ECI we decided to bring back the nutritionist. This is fine but I kind of feel like we have been there done that why waste my time. The other thing is when do we decide that the reason she is having trouble eating isn't due to something else. The speech therapist agreed with me and said that after she is better we may need to look at a feeding disability. We have made some progress but for the most part not enough. I decided that this would be something that I needed to talk to Dr. G. whenever I took her in next. I just didn't think it would be the next day.
Yet again Kaylie lost weight so it made the discussion with him easy. Today she weighed in at 13lbs 7 oz. Considering she is sick that is not bad but believe it or not she has actually been eating ok. She ate 24 oz yesterday. That is not any different than a day that she feels good. When I mentioned her weight he became concerned and immediately suggested we go back to the Gastrointerologist. We saw him right after we got out of the NICU but our last appt. was in January. She was gaining sufficient weight and drinking her bottles very well so she was no longer having what they call "failure to thrive." That is a term you hear frequently in the NICU and was a concern for us. That term came back up again today. As long as you continue to grow in proportion and you do not dip in your stats (in Kaylie's case off the chart) it is not a big deal. This time we dipped. Since February she has gained less than 2lbs. which is not good so we will be going back. I think I am making it sound worse than it probably really is. I figure their is a lot they can do for her. My doctor talked about a bunch of options that they could do. He said by going back to the GI doctor we will be able to figure out if their is more going on than just being a preemie and being small. He said they will look at her appetite as well as if their is a need for feeding therapy. We have our appt. schedule for the first week after school gets out. Hopefully he will respond in the carefree way he usually does and say she is perfectly fine and he is not concerned. That is what he did the first time we went in. I think that is wishful thinking. Pray that between now and the time she goes in she is healthy and will gain a good amount of weight. Also pray that she will be able to eat table foods without choking or freaking out over textures. I will update everyone once we find out more.
上 蒼い子 777527-蒼い子
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment